Former administrators considered for Portland

The University of Portland announced last week that it has narrowed its presidential search to former Notre Dame administrators, a press release stated.

Father E. William Beauchamp and Father James McDonald will be interviewed by the University of Portland Oct. 26 to 29. The position was vacated this summer when Father David Tyson resigned his post after being elected provincial superior of the Indiana Province for the Congregation of Holy Cross.

University of Portland spokesman John Furey said, "[The Board of Regents] hopes to make a decision by the end of the year, but there has been no firm decision [regarding the naming of a President]."

Beauchamp, senior vice president at Portland, served as Notre Dame's executive vice president from 1987 to 2000 and is a member of the Notre Dame Board of Trustees and Board of Fellows. Beauchamp, who attended University of the Detroit as an undergraduate, received his law and divinity degrees from Notre Dame and served as both assistant rector and rector in Grace Hall, before joining the administration in 1980. He was ordained a priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross in 1982.

McDonald, rector of Saint George's College in Santiago, Chile, a primary and secondary school, was the associate dean of the Notre Dame Law School from 1999-2000 and assistant dean from 1997-99.

McDonald also was the assistant provincial of the Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross from 1994-97, associate rector of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart from 1990-91 and assistant rector of Sorin Hall from 1984-85. McDonald received his undergraduate degree in modern languages and Program of Liberal Studies and his masters of divinity degree from Notre Dame.