Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024

Keenan, Morrissey tie 12-12

A closely played game ended anticlimactically Sunday afternoon, as the Keenan Knights tied the Morrissey Manorites 12-12.

"We definitely didn't play as well as we should have," Morrissey quarterback Marty Mooney said. "We came out flat - this was a game we needed to win."

Keenan appeared to be the superior team in the first quarter, scoring two easy touchdowns. Although the first drive of the game resulted in a punt to Morrissey, Keenan's Mark Munninghoff intercepted the ball for a 35-yard run that put the Knights first and goal on the Manor's 5.

Quarterback Patrick Downey found Reed Langton on the goal line for a touchdown by inches. Morrissey fought back to block the extra-point kick attempt.

Langton would come through for the Knights again on the next Morrissey drive, blocking the punt and running it back for a touchdown. The extra point again fell short, as the Knights faked a kick and Downey's pass to the end zone was high.

The Knights would not be in dangerous scoring territory again. Keenan started the second quarter with the ball on its own 13-yard line, then dropped six yards as the Manor defensive line forced a fumble. The punt on fourth and nine was blocked by Morrissey's Joe Dugan, who ran the ball back for the touchdown.

In the second half, Mooney completed a twenty-yard pass to Dave Purcell for a touchdown. The extra-point was blocked, leaving the score at 12-12.

Although the Manorites would put together several drives for the rest of the game, they would not be in close scoring range again.

Keenan kept the defensive pressure on, as Brian Long sacked Mooney on his own 48-yard line for a loss of eight yards and Langton almost intercepted the next pass.

Langton would later sack Mooney and end Morrissey's offense for the game.

However, Downey was unable to complete the long pass as time expired.

Alumni 27, Keough 0

Thanks to Alumni senior cornerback/wide receiver Cory Harkins three touchdowns and Alumni's dominate defense, Keough (0-3) left the field Sunday defeated and scoreless, losing to Alumni 27-0.

Keough's first possession ended quickly with an interception by Harkins. Alumni senior quarterback Chris Cottingham completed a 14-yard touchdown pass to Harkins during Alumni's third possession to put the Dawgs on the board.

After a touchdown pass from Cottingham to Chris Seponski and a field goal, Cottingham launched a 45-yard pass to a wide-open Harkins for another touchdown. Harkins scored Alumni's final touchdown off an interception and a 60-yard run by Harkins.

"I feel I played well and I think our team did great," Harkins said "This was a must win for the playoffs."

This win was especially exciting for Alumni (2-2). The team lost its last two games and was playing without six players due to injuries.

"I think our defense leads the team, but finally our offense did what they had to and stepped it up," Seponski said. "By the end of the game, both sides of the ball were playing up to their potential."

Dillon 42, Stanford 0

Dillon cruised by Stanford Sunday 42-0 behind a potent offensive attack and stringent defense that forced three interceptions.

The Big Red had six offensive touchdowns, as Stanford was unable to defend against Dillon's dominant running game. The Griffins also struggled to move the football throughout the game.

Dillon's defense stopped Stanford at every turn. Ed Lira grabbed two picks for the Big Red, with Robert McBride adding another interception.

The defense positioned the ball well, providing scoring opportunities on which the offense never failed to capitalize.

Robert McBride, Ray Dennis, Dan Block and Ben Butwin all scored for Dillon, while Kevin McCarthy's had two more touchdowns in the incredible victory.

Stanford seemed more focused on having a good time this season than on winning the league. This Sunday's contest was their last game, and although they lost, the Griffins remained upbeat.

"I think we're definitely the best 0-4 team out there," said tackle Matt Goulet.

Although scoreless, the Stanford players never lost their spirit throughout the game, ardently supporting their team from the sideline.

Undefeated Dillon is assured a playoff spot, as the top four teams in the league advance to the postseason, and only one game remains in the regular season.

"Today was good prep for the playoffs and Keenan next Thursday, who is still a tough team. We got lots of things worked out today that we've been struggling with - we played well," said Ray Dennis.

Dillon continues their season this Thursday against Keenan at 7 p.m. at Stepan Fields.