Irish face pair of rough road games

This Thanksgiving, the Irish will be on the road, facing two tough opponents. First, No. 17 Notre Dame (2-1) travels to Michigan State (2-0), to face the Spartans on Wednesday.

Michigan State is coming off a 78-40 win over Temple to win the Spartan Classic.

After this game, the Irish travel to Tennessee on Sunday.

The No. 3 Lady Volunteers (1-0) will be a tough opponent for Notre Dame. They return three starters, all seniors. This senior class has a record of 93-13 in their four years at Tennessee.

Meanwhile, the Irish come off a dominating performance at home on Friday night. They beat Valparaiso 74-57, good enough to move them up three spots in this week's Associated Press women's basketball poll.

So far this season, the Irish have been led by the trio of Jacqueline Batteast, Le'Tania Severe and Megan Duffy. Batteast averages 18.3 points and 8.3 rebounds. She had the 21st double double of her career against the Crusaders, with 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Severe, a senior guard, averages 11 points a game to go along with five assists. She has been a spark plug as the senior leader of the team.

The sophomore Duffy has been strong at point guard, averaging ten points through the first three games. Duffy has benefited from major improvements over the off-season.

This road trip will be a challenge for the Irish, who are 1-1 on the road this season.

Michigan State has challenged to break into the top 25 in the polls, and Tennessee is always a force to reckon with. The Lady Volunteers won 83-52 in their season-opener against Chattanooga.

Wednesday's game tips off at 7 p.m. and Sunday's game is set to start at 3 p.m.

The Irish return home Dec. 4, when they face Wisconsin.