Community celebrates mass

Members of the Saint Mary's College community celebrated the new academic year with the annual All Campus Mass Sunday. Filling every seat, students, staff and faculty gathered to exemplify the unity of Saint Mary's in the Church of Loretto.

Father David Tyson presided over the ceremony. In congruence with the new school year, he reflected upon the gifts of wisdom, knowledge and faith throughout his sermon.

Tyson challenged those in attendance to use their unique gifts in order to seek truth, and ended with words of hope for the College.

"We do so [celebrate] here at Saint Mary's as a community bettered on wisdom and we pray that Saint Mary's College continues to open the minds and hearts of these women."

College President Carol Ann Mooney thanked those in attendance with her closing words.

"For Catholics, there is no more visible sign of unity than the mass," Mooney said. "We gather not to refuel but to celebrate the many grace-filled moments in our lives. I pray we cherish not only wisdom of the empirical and analytical type, but also the deep and profound wisdom that comes to us through faith."

Clad in Saint Mary's apparel, students participated in the spirit and unity of the college.

"I enjoy going to mass and can see that Saint Mary's is a tight knit community where everyone looks out for one another," said freshman Ashley Currie.

For seniors like Allison Nickerson and Katie Murphy, mass served as the kick off to their final year as students.

"It's our last year and we love our school," they said. "It's a good way to start out the year as a community and it will be sad when it's over for us."