Injured ND senior released from hospital

Notre Dame senior Brian Cardile was released from Memorial Hospital in South Bend Wednesday, according to an e-mail sent by Keenan rector Father Mark Thesing to current and former dorm residents.

Cardile, 21, was hit by a car early Sunday morning. The South Bend Tribune reported Monday that witnesses told South Bend police officers Cardile walked into East Edison Road in front of a moving vehicle driven by Chicago resident John Schoenwetter at approximately 2:30 a.m. Schoenwetter is a second-year law student at Notre Dame, according to the University directory.

The e-mail, a copy of which was obtained by The Observer, said Cardile will stay at the health center on campus for "awhile."

"I stopped by to see him this afternoon and he seems to be doing well," Thesing said in the e-mail sent Thursday afternoon. "He is still sore and stiff."

Cardile, a former Keenan resident who now lives at Turtle Creek Apartments, was struck by a car "while walking home [from] the Linebacker [Lounge]," Thesing said in an e-mail sent Sunday night.

Thesing said in Thursday's e-mail that Cardile's parents arrived in South Bend on Monday and would be staying "a few days as he continues on his road to recovery."

"He hopes to get back to classes soon, maybe even [today]," Thesing said in Thursday's e-mail.

Cardile was a sports writer for The Observer during the 2004-05 school year.