Student presidential candidates announced

The Judicial Council officially announced the tickets approved to run in the upcoming student body president election in a campus-wide e-mail Friday morning.

Five tickets will appear on the Feb. 13 general ballot, with what Judicial Council president James Leito called an "extraordinary" number of freshmen running for top government positions.

"Normally the people who are running for these positions are sophomores and juniors, and [5] freshmen on the tickets is very unusual," Leito said. He added he could not think of anything that would have contributed to the rise in younger candidates.

The presidential and vice presidential candidates include freshmen Ryan Black from Knott and Catherine Martinez from Cavanaugh; junior Jason Laws from Fisher and sophomore Bob Costa from Zahm; freshmen Ryan McCune and Tim Szewczyk, both from Zahm; juniors Lizzi Shappell from Badin and Bill Andrichik from Stanford; and sophomore Erica Wells from Pangborn and freshman George Chamberlain from Sorin.

Traditionally, the candidates are announced during a meeting of the Student Senate - held Wednesdays at 6 p.m. - but Leito said there was a delay in collecting the tickets' Web site information, and Judicial Council made the decision not to make a formal announcement until Thursday.

The first debate will be held in the Huddle area of LaFortune at 8 p.m. on Feb. 9.