SMC Volleyball: SMC needs just three games against Alma

The Belles made quick work of Alma last night, sweeping the Scots in three games.

Saint Mary's took the first game 30-14. The Belles offensive effort was tough to beat - the team compiled 18 kills in the first game. The defense was equally impressive and unstoppable, posting five blocks in the first game.

In the second game, sophomore outside hitter Sara Scow fought hard for the Scots and put up a total of 14 kills and 12 digs in the match. It seemed that her efforts would pay off, but after tying it up at 20, the Belles pulled ahead and captured the game 30-28.

The Belles freshmen blocking squad of middle blocker Andrea Sasgen and outside hitter Jacee Watson had a combined 10 blocks out of the Belles total of 16, and the two freshmen aided in capturing the final game. The Belles led the entire game, but the Scots tried to mount a comeback, pulling the game to 23-18. It was not enough, however, and the Belles took the deciding game.

It was all about the battle for the Belles, and they came out strong. Head coach Julie Schroeder-Biek was impressed with her team.

"Tonight, I really liked our fight," Schroeder-Biek said. "I felt that the team really bonded together with their drive to win."

The Belles were aggressive, and Schroeder-Biek wants her team to keep it up.

"The only thing that I saw that I disliked was that, sometimes, we played it too safe and didn't hit as aggressively as I want them all to hit," she said.

The Belles had a standout match and played together as a team. Sophomore outside hitter Lorna Slupczynski posted her fourth straight double-double with 19 kills and 12 digs. Junior middle blocker Kaela Hellmann had a team-high 18 digs.

The Belles play again Wednesday in a conference match at Albion.