Coins hidden for treasure hunt

The Sophomore Class Council and American Airlines are sponsoring a campus-wide treasure hunt that begins at 8 a.m. today as part of a nationwide event that includes 40 colleges and universities.

Prizes range from American Airlines discounts from $10 to $50, as well as one free roundtrip ticket that can be used anywhere in the U.S., said sophomore class president Grant Schmidt.

Schmidt said 221 gold coins labeled with "treasure hunt" and "American Airlines" have been placed all over campus in various locations, possibly including residence halls, recreational facilities and the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. Putting the coins all over campus allows all students to be involved in the treasure hunt, he said.

The coins can be redeemed for golden envelopes in the Dooley Room of LaFortune Student Center between 1:30 and 4 p.m. today, and student IDs are needed, Schmidt said. Each student can only turn in one coin.

All Notre Dame undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to participate in the treasure hunt, a choice made by the Sophomore Class Council.

"So many of the events on campus are dorm related, class related, or tied to specific events or causes, and we are trying to bring all of that together," Schmidt said.

The prizes were made possible by a donation from American Airlines.

"The airline sees this as an opportunity to serve students in a way that will build a loyal relationship in the future," said sophomore Scott Andrews, campus representative for American Airlines. "American Airlines believes that it is very important to invest in students."

Schmidt said the best part of the treasure hunt is its convenience.

"This isn't an event that requires attendance. You don't have to change your schedule," he said. "I could be walking to Theology at 9 a.m., and I happen to see a gold coin, which makes me a part of it."