Songwriter makes visit to College

In coordination with the Healthy Communities Initiative of St. Joseph County and the Great American Smokeout, Saint Mary's will host J Moss, a Detroit-based songwriter and record producer tonight at 7 in O'Laughlin Auditorium.

J Moss is part of the three-man team PAJAM, which has produced artists such as *N Sync, Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child, Dru Hill and Boyz II Men. He was nominated for seven Stellar Gospel Music Awards this year including Artist of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year and CD of the year.

The concert is also sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs at Saint Mary's, Lexus of Mishawaka and WUBU. Admission is $15.

The Great American Smokeout, which is typically held on the third Thursday of November, is a nationwide initiative to curb smoking, started in the 1970s. The event calls for a one-day moratorium for American smokers.

J Moss Live is being advertised as "A Smoke-Free Concert Promoting Healthy Choices."

"J. Moss will really be pushing that message while they're here," said Christopher Sallak, patron services and marketing manager at the College. "There will be a booth at the Student Center raising awareness about smoking also."

Saint Mary's brings in internal and external events, Sallak said. "This concert is technically external, but has several internal elements since it is partnered with an office at the College," he said.

Internal events include plays, seasonal concerts, recitals and choir performances by Saint Mary's students and faculty.

External events, like the Christopher's Christmas that took place this past week, rent the space, Sallak said and are not sponsored by a group at the College.

"Many of this year's events are based on the beatification of Father Moreau, especially for the namesake of our building," Sallak said. "We try to tie the events into what is going on at Saint Mary's."

The events that come through Saint Mary's are dependent on which department is involved.

"All departments have different budgets. There isn't one large sum," Sallak said. "The budget really comes into play."

The Office of Special Events utilizes local advertising in the South Bend Tribune, The Observer, public radio, online e-newsletters and Facebook .com posts, Sallak said.