Women's Track and Field: Irish athletes shine in weekend's relays

Notre Dame sent a limited number of athletes to both the Hillsdale and Drake Relays this weekend, but it walked away with more than a few impressive results.

At the Hillsdale Relays meet in Hillsdale, Mich., the Irish shined with a number of top finishes.

In the 1500-meter run, senior Julie Opet grabbed the top spot with a time of 4:31.77. Marissa Treece, competing in her first meet since the World Cross Country championships, rounded out a solid Irish performance in the event with an eighth-place finish.

In the 800-meter run, senior Jacqueline Carter and sophomore Molly Sullivan took second and fourth place, respectively.

In field events, the Irish had a strong showing, led by junior Mary Saxer, who won the Pole Vault with a jump of 13 feet, 1 1/2 inches. Sophomore Elise Knutzen took third in the javelin and sophomore Jamie Minor finished seventh in the triple jump.

At the Drake Relays, the Irish got quality performances from of the two athletes that were sent to the highly competitive meet.

Sophomore Jaclyn Espinoza grabbed sixth-place with her throw of 44.58 meters in the discus event.

Junior Anna Weber also finished well placing ninth in the hammer throw event with a toss of 58.16 meters.

The Irish will compete in the Big East championships next weekend.