Leaders discuss revision of funding appeal rules

The Council of Representatives (COR) discussed revising rules for clubs to appeal to the COR Collaboration Fund Tuesday, following a closed-door discussion of an appeal at last week's meeting.

Class of 2010 president Kim Kyrouac, who also serves on the Financial Management Board (FMB), which oversees club finances but isn't able to distribute funds, encouraged COR to consider an appeal process similar to that used by FMB.

"Someone comes in to present to us at FMB," she said. "If we have any questions, they can answer us."

Sorin Senator Mike Sayles agreed with Kyrouac.

"No matter how much [the appeal] is for, it's always better to have someone from the event here because they know it better than anybody else," he said. "They'd be able to clearly explain every single dollar they were spending."

While Sayles is in favor of requiring every club appealing to the Fund to make a presentation before COR, some members said that a presentation should only be a requirement if the appeal is above a certain amount.

"If they feel they need the money, they shouldn't have a problem coming into COR," Off-Campus President Billy Lyman said. "It makes it difficult when there's no representative here."

Other COR members recommended simply inviting a club to send a representative to the meeting, but not requiring it.

"We can judge how much they want the money by if they show up," Dillon Senator Patrick Kane said.

Sayles, however, denounced the idea of judging the club's need for the money by whether or not they attended the meeting.

"The whole point of having them here is for our purposes of finding out what's going on at the event," he said. "The whole point of this fund is to put on events for people around campus."

Sayles also suggested requiring clubs making large appeals to the Fund to detail how they would use their money.

"Over a certain point, there needs to be a further breakdown of the expenses," he said. "It would be nice to have it all clearly stated on a piece of paper right in front of you."

Student body president Bob Reish said that he would pass the suggestions from COR on to the Oversight Committee, which could then suggest that Student Senate make changes to the Constitution.

Reish then asked COR members for ideas on new task forces that the Campus Life Council (CLC) could establish to help improve student life.

The Campus Life Council (CLC), which is composed of students, faculty, administrators, and rectors, "can be fruitful if it's used in the right direction," Reish said.

Reish hailed the CLC as being a way for students to directly propose ideas to Vice President of Student Affairs Father Mark Poorman. If Poorman receives a policy recommendation from CLC, he must respond to it within a week.

Student Union Treasurer Kadeja Gaines proposed that CLC works to improve relations between students and NDSP. CCC President John Burke agreed with Gaines's idea. He recommended that "NDSP publicize more what their policies are. Students are now taken to county jail for public intoxication," he said.

Sayles suggested that CLC works to "improve relationship with Saint Mary's and Holy Cross. They got kind of strenuous last year. I think we can do more things around campus to include them," he said.

In other COR news:

uThe Off-Campus council is looking to plan block party events to encourage students to get to know their neighbors, the city of South Bend, and the Off-Campus council, Lyman said.

Lyman anticipates the council to hold four separate events, all of which are tentatively set for October 5.

"These things aren't very complicated," he said. "One goal is to get exposure for off campus council-quite frankly, most people don't know we exist."

Three of the four proposed events will be jointly funded by the Off-Campus council and landlord Mark Kramer. Lyman said that he is also planning on soliciting funding from Turtle Creek, Clover Ridge, and Stadium Club apartments.