BOG considers beauty conference

Senior communications major Emma Farrell asked the Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) for a co-sponsorship to help sponsor a female beauty conference at their meeting this week.

The conference, in its second year, will be held in the Student Center later this spring.

Farrell said she hopes the conference will "deepen the understanding of what being a woman means while trying to resist what makes a woman seem to be."

In other BOG news:

uTechnology commissioner Deirdre Hayden said she will be meeting with the Information Technology department at the College to find out how much it would cost to put a printer in the Student Center.

uMichele Peterson, the Student Activities Board (SAB) president, said SAB went to the National Association for Campus Activities conference in Nashville, Tenn. two weeks ago. She said the group brought back many new ideas to bring to Saint Mary's. Peterson said the group was interested in ideas like a Def Jam poet and a magician.

uElections commissioner Francesca Johnson said that the final leg of elections is taking place next week. The elections for the Class of 2010 and 2011 boards will be Monday on PRISM. The "Meet the Candidates" event for the class boards will be tomorrow in the West Wing of the Noble Family Dining Hall.

uOff-campus commissioner Caitlin Sullivan said she talked to Karen Johnson, the vice president of student affairs, about the lack of student parking in the Spes Unica parking lot. Sullivan said Johnson told her that the issue will be resolved after Spring Break.