Men's Swimming and Diving: Divers prepare for Zone C competition

Notre Dame's divers will look to continue their strong season at the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships in Minneapolis on March 13.

The Irish will boast a good deal of experience in the meet, as four of their five participants competed in the event last year.

Senior captain Michael Bulfin leads the way for the Irish and will be competing in the Zone Championships for the fourth consecutive year. Bulfin is coming off a strong performance at last month's Big East championships in which the All-American finished second in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

Last season, the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native finished in sixth place in the 1-meter at the Zone Championships and later moved on to become to the first diver in Notre Dame history to score points at the NCAA championships.

Sophomores Eric Lex, Wesley Villaflor and Nathan Geary will each return to the event for the second consecutive season. Each diver performed well in Notre Dame's first-place finish at the Big East championships.

Lex was consistent at the event, finishing fifth in the 1-meter event and third in the 3-meter event. Villaflor finished fourth in the 1-meter and seventh in the 3-meter while Geary finished ninth in the 1-meter and fifth in the 3-meter. Each diver is looking to advance to the finals for the first time in his career.

Irish junior Caleb Dunnichay will make his first trip to the event. The Elwood, Ind., native was the most consistent Irish diver at the Big East championships besides Bulfin. Dunnichay finished third in the 1-meter and fourth in the 3-meter.

Competition at the NCAA Zone C Championships begins at 1 p.m. at the University Aquatic Center on the campus of the University of Minnesota.