Women's Rowing: Rowers aim for successful year

The Irish are poised to repeat the success of last season as they begin their quest for a sixth consecutive Big East championship.

Notre Dame is coming off an outstanding season in 2008 that saw the Irish finish the season ranked 18th overall in the nation, the third-straight year the team ended the season ranked.

Irish head coach Martin Stone is fully confident in his varsity rowers who he said can make a serious impact through the regular season and beyond.

"We have an outstanding group of seniors on this year's team who want to leave a lasting legacy in our program," Stone said to und.com.

Led by recently-selected senior captains Lauren Buck and Christine Trezza, the Irish hope to make a statement this Saturday when they compete against a much-improved Michigan State team.

Since the 2006-07 season, Buck and Trezza have been rowing together on the varsity eight boat for the Irish, while also rowing on the same novice boat during their freshman season in 2005-06.

"Lauren and Christine have distinguished themselves throughout their career and it is a tribute to their leadership abilities and the respect that they have from their teammates that they have been selected captains for this season," Stone said. "Lauren, Christine and all of our seniors will do a great job of leading our team this year."

A three-year varsity veteran and two-time monogram winner, Buck has earned recognition as a member of the Big East Academic All-Star Team each of the past two seasons.

Not to be outdone on the water or in the classroom, Trezza has been selected as a member of the Big East Academic All-Star Team each of her first three years on the varsity squad for her scholastic accomplishments.

Anchored by a talented cast of veterans and supported by the raw talent from key underclassmen, the rowing team aims to chop the waves to the NCAA Championships in May.