Demand for DVD rentals still strong

The demand for the DVD rental service - started by Notre Dame's Student Government last year - is still strong, according to student body president Grant Schmidt and Nick Ruof, a senator from Carroll and head of the ResLife Committee.

The service was started last year under former student body president Bob Reish's term because the Huddle was removing of its DVD service. 

Schmidt said an added bonus is that the program is "a great way to get people up to the office."

The ResLife Committee of Student Government runs the service.

Schmidt said although they haven't promoted the DVD club strongly this year, they will likely send an e-mail to the student body soon, promoting the service.

According to Schmidt, it's mostly used by people that know about it from last year. Although, some students saw the DVD return chute in the Student Government office during Best of LaFortune - an SAO event highlighting areas of the student center - and were reminded of the service.

They haven't set hours for the service yet, but Schmidt stated that there was "almost always" someone in the Student Government office to help students looking to rent DVDs, and the DVD return chute is meant for late-night returns when no one is in the office.

In a couple of weeks, they will also begin actively purchasing new releases from the summer months.

Currently there are over 400 titles available in the DVD collection, including older titles such as "Pretty in Pink" and "Pretty Woman," newer titles such as "No Country for Old Men" and "The Kite Runner," as well as television series such as the first couple seasons of "The O.C." and the fourth season of "The Office."

In a change from last year, there is no longer a five dollar deposit to ensure returns. According to Schmidt, that policy was a hassle. Now, students have to fill out a form with their netID so that if the DVD isn't returned in a week, they will receive emails reminding them to return their rental.

"The DVD Club is important because we want to supply the student body with an efficient and convenient way to rent DVDs for class or recreation," Ruof said.