SAB plans 'Ugly Truth' movie night

Need a study break? Ever wanted to see "The Ugly Truth?"

The Student Activities Board (SAB) at Saint Mary's College hopes to remedy these problems by hosting a movie night Sunday.

"SAB likes to provide students with activities and events that gives them a time out from homework and studying. Also, movies are one of our most attended events," said senior Michelle Peterson, SAB president.

The movie will be shown in Carroll Auditorium in Madeleva Hall at the College.

"This is our first time showing a movie here," Peterson said. "Since we have had issues in the past with an overflow of people seeing the movie, we figured a large space could work better."

Peterson said she's excited for the event.

"It's always great to see the students of Saint Mary's taking a break from their studies and just enjoying themselves," she said. "We all put in a lot of time and effort into our studies, and definitely deserve a fun break once in a while."

Movie night is not all that SAB has to offer. Throughout the course of the year, SAB plans several large and small events to offer students a chance to have some fun and take a break.

In December, SAB plans to show another movie, but they haven't decided which one they will show. Another event the board has planned for December is gingerbread house decorating. Students will join up in teams to adorn a gingerbread house for a prize.

"This year, we are hoping to have the Alumnae Association of South Bend join us for this event," Peterson said.

In the spring, SAB plans on hosting four to five additional movie nights, with one outdoors, weather permitting. Another event that is in the works is a small charity concert benefiting Belles for Africa.

Peterson said the main focus of the spring is the Annual SMC Tostal, an event that consists of a concert and a variety of other "fun activities during the day."

"SAB has been given a budget that allows us to provide almost all of our events to the students for free. We want to utilize our resources and plan as many events as possible so that students have things to do on campus," Peterson said.

The event is free and open to students from Saint Mary's, Holy Cross College and Notre Dame. Show times are 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. The event is not ticketed.