SMC Swimming: Seniors prepare for final regular season meet

Saint Mary's took first in eight out of 13 events last weekend, and have a chance to build on that success in the final meet of the regular season tonight against Calvin and Alma.

In the past few weeks, each individual swimmer and the team as a whole has progressed, producing season-best times and finishing in the lead.

The freshman and senior classes in particular are looking to end the regular season on a high note.

"Calvin is a good team, but I'm sure I'll see season-best times from many of my teammates at the meet," senior Meredith Lierz said.

Freshman Ellie Watson took first in both the 200-yard individual medley and 500-yard freestyle last week, but now she wants more.

"My goal this weekend is to get a season-best in the 500 freestyle," Watson said. "It would also be great if I could win both distance events."

Another powerful freshman, Katie Griffin, has taken first in the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke many times in the past and is looking to continue her streak.
As this is the final regular season meet for the senior class, seniors Sara Niemann and Lierz hope to finish strong.

After finishing first in the 1,000-yard freestyle and second in the 500-yard freestyle, Niemann said she hopes to end her season with continued success.

Lierz, who just returned from a knee injury last weekend, is looking for big things from herself and her teammates. Last week her return came in the form of a first place finish in the 50-yard freestyle. While her knee has not completely healed, she is ready to tough it out once again.

"The one event I'm looking most forward to is the 400-yard freestyle relay," Lierz said. "I‘m hoping we can drop more time there before we get ready for conference."

The Belles will travel to Calvin in Grand Rapids, Mich. to take on Calvin and Alma at 6 p.m. tonight.