Saint Mary's to hold walk for hungry

Saint Mary's students, faculty and staff and the South Bend community will come together Sunday to walk for the hungry during the Yes We Can! Walk 2010.

It will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, and will start at Saint Mary's Student Center, head to the Grotto at Notre Dame and then end back at the Student Center. It will happen, "rain or shine," and "children and dogs — on leashes — are welcome," said Olivia Critchlow, assistant director of the Office of Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE) and coordinator of the event. 

The walk will benefit the Little Flower Catholic Church Food Pantry.  

The walk was first held last year, and began when the College Academy of Tutoring (CAT) scholars decided to organize an event for the spring that would help connect the College with the greater community, Critchlow said. CAT is an organization of students from the College that began in 2006 to help tutor elementary-age children in need at local elementary schools. 

This event is another way to CAT is working to bridge the gap between Saint Mary's and the community. 

"It is a great way to bring food insecurity to the forefront during the Easter season, and provides support for a local food pantry — Little Flower Food Pantry — that is always in need," Critchlow said. 

Critchlow said events like these help to bring the community and the College closer together.

"Events that involve and benefit the South Bend community are great ways to keep the College in touch with the community's needs and are excellent opportunities for our students to stand in solidarity with the poor," Critchlow said. 

Even though last year's event happened to fall on a rainy day, 75 walkers participated, Critchlow said. 

"I am hoping that we are able to at reach the same attendance this year, if not exceed that number," Critchlow said. 

According to Critchlow, the walk is open anyone and people are encouraged to join. Those interested can register online at http://www3.saintmarys.edu/ocse/calendar/walk-for-hungry-form. There will also be a booth in the Student Center Atrium today and tomorrow during lunch and dinner hours. 

Cost to participate is three cans of food or a $2 donation per person or $5 or three cans/person if you bring a team, Carrie Call, director of OCSE said in an e-mail to the student body.