Track and Field: ND to play in Louisville Invitational

The Irish will compete in the Louisville Invitational this weekend, a four team event involving a "Border War" between Indiana and Kentucky.

Notre Dame and Indiana University will compete with the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville.

"The Louisville Invitational is actually a pretty interesting meet," sophomore thrower Mike Smigelski said. "It should be pretty exciting, especially considering some of the great competition we will be facing."

"Personally, I am looking to lower my outdoor time," sophomore runner Jack Howard said. "The three teams we are running against have some great 800 meter runners, so it should be an excellent opportunity to do so."

The Irish competed in four meets last weekend before Easter break. Different athletes went to the Arizona Multi-Event, the Florida Relays, the Purdue Invitational and the Tiger Track Classic.

Notre Dame picked up three top-five finishes in the men's hammer throw at Purdue. The top Irish performer was junior Greg Davis, who finished third overall.

"I think, as a whole, the team competed pretty well," Smigelski said. "A bunch of people qualified for the Big East Championships, which is always nice. Also, I heard of a bunch of personal records. Overall, I think everyone came away from the weekend feeling pretty good."

Four Irish athletes took first place in the events. Junior Theresa Cattuna won the women's 5,000 meters, senior Joanna Schultz finished first in the 400 meters, sophomore Jonathan Shawel took top honors in the 800-meter run, and senior Eric Quick beat out the rest of the competition in the triple jump.

After this weekend, the Irish will have only five events remaining until the Big East championships, which will be held April 30-May 2 in Cincinnati, Ohio.

"Right now our team wants to get as many guys qualified for the Big East meets as we can," Howard said. "That and maintaining our health are our top priorities at this point in the season."

This weekend's match will take place Saturday at the University of Louisville.