Bengal Bouts: Semifinals 182 pounds

Mike "Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner" Urciuoli def. William "The Captain" Paape

The off-campus senior Urciuoli opened the fight in the first round delivering a solid right hook to the Sorin sophomore Paape, while also evading heavy hits by slightly leaning back. Later in the round, Paape was able to return fire, launching a series of hooks with both hands. Paape broke away from his almost machine-like style in the second round, exchanging wild flails with Urciuoli. While neither opened up well, both finished strong in the round, trading excruciating right hooks.

Despite his obvious fatigue, Urciuoli fended off Paape's numerous lunges in the final stanza and strung together some devastating combinations, consisting of right hooks, left hooks and uppercuts. Urciuoli was granted the split decision victory to advance to the finals.

Tyler "Tuna" Plantz def. Tom "Son of Ted" Carnevale

The freshman Plantz came out strong in the first round, using his speed and low center of gravity to get in close and land a number of hits on Carnevale's head. Carnevale, an off-campus junior, played defense for a large part of the round, as he clung to the ropes while fending off Plantz's punches.

In the second round, both sides came out aggressively but both had trouble connecting with any strong punches early. The Morrissey resident Plantz got Carnevale up against the ropes once again before landing a flurry of powerful punches to his opponent's head.

The third round opened with the two fighters trading punches, and Carnevale was able to turn the tables and get Plantz against the ropes. Plantz came back with another series of hits to the upperclassman's head. In a split decision, Plantz earned the victory.