ND Women's Golf: Huffer leads ND in 10-team field

Junior Becca Huffer lead the No. 25 Irish to a first place finish in the John Kirk-Panther Intercollegiate tournament in Stockbridge, Ga., out of a field of 10 teams.

Huffer finished second in the field of individuals with a 54-hole total score of 211, finishing five shots under par.

As a team, the Irish shot a total of 888 to finish 24 shots over par. Freshman Kristina Nhim finished seven over par and tied for ninth place in the field of individuals, and senior captain Katie Conway was the third Notre Dame golfer to finish in the top 20, shooting 10 over par to tie for 16th.

"We won the tournament, making this our third victory of the year," Conway said. "While we were heavily favored to win according to the rankings, we played really well as a whole and everyone made solid contributions. It was a true team effort."

No other team in the field of 10 was ranked nationally. Notre Dame finished ahead of second place Maryland (905) and third place East Tennessee State (906).

Conway also spoke highly of Huffer, praising her success in the invitational.

"Becca had her best tournament total to date finishing in second place at five under par," Conway said. "She had three really solid and consistent rounds and has been on the cusp of a great tournament like this for a long time. This is just the start of what she's capable of and we're all really excited for her."

While the Irish have enjoyed success recently, Conway knows that her players will have to continually improve if they want to obtain their season goals. Notre Dame will have its next opportunity to do just that in the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic, which begins on April 1.

"Moving forward, we collectively still need to eliminate mistakes around the greens, like three putts and easy up-and-down conversions" Conway said. "[The Classic] has a strong field, but we all gained a lot of confidence from this week and will look to continue building on our success next week."