SMC Basketball: Belles to open season at Wheaton

Saint Mary's opens its season this weekend when it travels to Wheaton, Ill., for the Wheaton Tip-Off Tournament.

After a 13-13 season a year ago, the Belles are looking to improve this season, starting with a game against Illinois College on Friday. Saint Mary's will play either Blackburn or Wheaton on Saturday, depending on Friday's results.

The Belles lost three top seniors from a year ago: Kelley Murphy, Patsy Mahoney and Jessica Centa. Murphy was a first team all-MIAA selection, while Mahoney and Centa were both selected for the conference's second team. Mahoney was only the third Belle to score 1,000 points and notch 300 assists in a career.

The Belles return three players who played in all 26 games a season ago in senior guard Annie Doyle, junior guard Shanlynn Bias and sophomore forward Ariana Paul. Other significant returning contributors include senior guard Kayla Wolter and junior forward Katherine Wabler. The Belles also add a significant freshman class, featuring seven players.

Illinois College finished 9-14 in the 2011-2012 season. The Lady Blues return junior power forward Brittney Burgess, who led the team in points in 12 of its 23 games. Illinois College also returns notable players in junior power forward Holly Wohltman and sophomore small forward Hannah McGinnis. The Lady Blues have a freshman class consisting of nine members.

The Belles and Lady Blues are set to tip-off Friday from Wheaton, Ill., at 3 p.m. Saint Mary's will play either Blackburn or Wheaton at 3 p.m. or 5 p.m. on Saturday.