Dismissed Saint Mary's employee reportedly on campus

David Summerfield, a former Saint Mary’s employee, may have been spotted on campus Thursday during the 31st Madeleva lecture. Members of the “Belles for Justice” Facebook group posted saying they had seen him in the audience at the lecture and subsequently reported the sighting to security.

Summerfield, who was a maintenance worker, was arrested in 2014 for voyeurism after admitting to drilling holes in the showers of Le Mans Hall and observing students. He was sentenced to 30 days in prison after pleading guilty to misdemeanor voyeurism and criminal mischief. He was also sentenced to 30 days probation following his prison sentence. His employment was terminated after his arrest and he has been banned from campus.

David Gariepy, director of security, said in an email he is not positive that it was Summerfield because security was never called to identify and confront the individual. A second sighting was reported, but the individual in question was not Summerfield.

According to Gariepy, a “no trespass” reminder letter was sent to Summerfield after the first report. Staff members have been reminded to contact security if incidents of this nature occur again so security can remove the individual or involve law enforcement.