Morris Inn, Snite Museum to serve as study spaces

With finals approaching, several campus locations which are not usually reserved for student studying purposes will be made available to members of the community preparing for final exams. The Snite Museum will be open to students from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and the Morris Inn will be open from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Friday.

The event at the Snite is sponsored by the Snite Student Advisory Council, Brian Koehler, co-chair of the Snite Student Advisory Council, said.

“Tables with outlets will be spread throughout the galleries and there will be free bagels, coffee and snacks each day,” he said in an email.

Koehler said that the initiative was created in order to provide a space where students can productively prepare for their finals.

“We know that it can be hard to find a nice, quiet place to study during finals week, so we wanted to provide students with a study space that is both peaceful and interesting,” he said. “Where else can you study for your final exams while sitting just feet away from priceless works of art.”

The event has taken place the last few years and has been popular, Koehler said. Students filter in and out as the day progresses, and usually the galleries “are usually pretty full.”

On Friday, a separate event will be happening in the lobby of the Morris Inn.

On the event’s Facebook page, over 200 people said they are interested in attending.

Student Griffin Modjeski said that he is interested in studying at the Morris Inn because he is “willing to try somewhere new.”

“I still, after a year, haven’t found a place where I can be truly productive, and maybe the Morris Inn is that place,” she said. “Also, I’ve been inside before, and it has a very calming and relaxed atmosphere, suitable for quiet studying and reading.”

Student Sofia Daboub said she also was excited to try the Morris Inn as a study spot.

“I’ve never actually studied at the Morris Inn, but I have studied at the Snite and I like the change scenery,” she said. “I want to try different spots on campus especially during finals when different buildings open up their spaces. I had some friends who went to one of the study breaks in the Morris Inn two years ago and I know they really enjoyed it. I really appreciate the Morris Inn allowing us students to use their space to study.”

Rohr’s, one of two restaurants located in the Morris Inn, will be accepting Domer Dollars as a form of payment Friday during the same 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. time slot that the hotel’s lobby will be available for studying students.