Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Valentine’s Day traditions brought back to campus

Love is in the air here in the tri-campus community as Valentine’s Day has arrived once again. Commemorating this most romantic day of the year, aside from the much nicer than usual weather, are several special Valentine’s-themed events happening across campus.

Irish Gardens, Notre Dame’s student-run flower shop in the basement of LaFortune Student Center, is always busiest this time of year. They have been in business since “at least the 1970s, with the photos to prove it!” a representative from Irish Gardens said via email. 

Their orders usually increase by about 400% this time of year, due in part to the special Valentine’s Day arrangements they sell, they said. 

“We usually bring in tulips, spider mums, spray roses and an assortment of other flowers that we don’t typically sell during other months of the year,” the representative said. 

Arrangements can be purchased online or by visiting the store. Their Valentine’s Day menu ranges from simple bouquets consisting of a single rose to ornate arrangements of a dozen roses. Irish Gardens’ “you are my Valentine” arrangement consists of a dozen roses of customizable colors in a special, “sweetheart” vase. For those not yet ready for commitment, the “flower pals” bouquet consists of three carnations, four gerbera daisies and two pom daisies in a “sweetheart” vase.

Irish Gardens also offers delivery: $7 to any dorm room on Notre Dame’s campus and $15 to the front desk of any Saint Mary’s dorm, with all deliveries handled by student staff members. 

Lyons Hall joined in the Valentine’s Day fun with their Lyons Love program. Hall representatives sold candy grams outside both dining halls on Feb. 8-10 and 13, with all proceeds going to Unity Gardens, a local South Bend charity. 

“We get reimbursed for the cost of the program by Hall President’s Council, so we’re able to donate 100% of the proceeds,” Olivia Spraul, vice president of Lyons Hall, said. 

Each candy gram contained a full-size candy bar and a customizable note and cost $3 to send to anyone on campus. 

Spraul said that the candy grams would be delivered to hall presidents at Hall President Council, who would then distribute them to residents. This is the program’s first year, and Spraul is hopeful that the program will become an annual tradition.

The Notre Dame Glee Club is doing a new take on the traditional candy gram with “song-grams,” Valentine’s-themed vocal performances at women’s dorms across campus. Over the weekend, club members in groups of twelve sang at Badin Hall, Cavanaugh Hall, Farley Hall, Howard Hall, Lewis Hall, Lyons Hall, McGlinn Hall, Ryan Hall, Walsh Hall and Welsh Family Hall. 

The club plans to perform on Valentine’s Day at Breen-Phillips Hall, Flaherty Hall, Johnson Family Hall, Pasquerilla East Hall and Pasquerilla West Hall. They also plan to sing in the Duncan Student Center, Hammes Bookstore and LaFortune Student Center throughout the day.

While this isn’t currently an annual tradition, it used to be. “It’s an old tradition brought back from the 90s,” Owen Roesch, a first-year in the club, said. “It’s not a yearly thing yet, but it may be. I hope it keeps going.”