Belles seek year's 1st victory

The Saint Mary's volleyball team is crossing the border, in hopes of bringing back the spoils of victory.

The Belles travel to Wooster College in Ohio this weekend to participate in the 2nd Annual Kilt Classic. The eight-team tournament will take place Sept. 5 and 6 and features schools from Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana.

Saint Mary's (0-2, 0-1 MIAA) will compete in the second bracket, against Heidelberg (Ohio) College (2-2), LaRoche (Ohio) College (0-0) and Westminster (Pa.) College (0-4).

Coach Julie Schroeder-Biek believes this will be a competitive tournament, and one that will help prepare her team for the MIAA season.

"I'm hoping to have everybody healthy," she said. "I have no doubt in my mind that we can win this tourney."

The team is hoping to have libero Anne Cusack and outside attacker Alison Shevik back at 100 percent. Cusack missed the Albion game with strep throat and Shevik played only back row after sustaining an ankle injury.

Sophomore middle hitter Michelle Turley, who joined the team after transferring from Marist College, is probably out for the season after injuring her foot earlier this year.

Despite the injuries, the Belles played valiantly in their loss to Albion to open MIAA play Wednesday, winning the first set but eventually falling to the Britons in five.

The Belles will compete in at least two matches Friday and at least one Saturday. They may play additional matches depending on their performance at the tournament.

"It's going to take 100 percent from the team to get this done," Schroeder-Biek said.