Alumni Association gives award to '53 grad

Retired U.S. Marine Corps Maj. Gen. James McMonagle, a decorated combat leader in Vietnam and 1953 Notre Dame graduate, will receive the Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., Award during a halftime ceremony at the Notre Dame-Navy football game Saturday.

The Corby Award is presented annually by the Notre Dame Alumni Association to a graduate who has distinguished himself or herself in military service.

During his 35-year active-duty career, McMonagle served in Korea, Lebanon and Vietnam, where he held major combat command positions with the Third Marine Division. He was awarded the Legion of Merit with Combat V and a Gold Star.

McMonagle held a full range of military staff positions and directed a variety of training and development courses and programs. His career included three roles as commanding general - at Camp Pendleton, Calif., the First Marine Expeditionary Force and the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island, S.C. Also a director of personnel, McMonagle received the Distinguished Service Medal when he retired in 1988.

McMonagle has served as an adviser for several law firms in military personnel cases and a volunteer for an outreach program that provides manual labor to improve the quality of life for children in the Nazareth Orphanage in Tecate, Mexico. In addition, he is a trustee for Devil Pups Inc., a non-profit Marine Corps youth summer program at Camp Pendleton.

McMonagle and his wife, Carol, reside in Vista, Calif., and have three sons who also are Notre Dame graduates.