ND students launch Operation Rice Bowl

Operation Rice Bowl is coming to Notre Dame this Lent, giving students a chance to donate to the work of Catholic Relief Services.

Sponsored primarily by the Sophomore Class Council, it is the first time in recent memory that the program will be held on campus, according to Brin Anderson and Julia Miller-Lemon, co-chairs of the program.

Operation Rice Bowl is a program of donation throughout Lent. Participants receive a small box and are encouraged to donate change to the bowl throughout the season.

"It is so easy," Miller-Lemon said. "At this campus, especially, we don't realize how much we have. With the rice bowls, students can make an impact every day."

Seventy-five percent of the donations will go to Catholic Relief Services projects in countries across the globe. The remaining 25 percent go to the local diocese.

Students are encouraged to place their bowls somewhere that will create a daily reminder to give. The money will be collected from April 5 to April 7.

"Having boxes on [the students' desks during Lent serves as a daily reminder that we have so much during this reflective season," Anderson said. "We have so much and so much to give."

Five thousand bowls will be distributed this Monday from 8 to 11 a.m. outside of DeBartolo and O'Shaug-hnessy and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to noon. They will also be passed out both days at the dining halls during lunch and dinner, and at the LaFortune Student Center from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. There will also be free Krispy Kreme donuts for the first 500 students at DeBartolo and O'Shaughnessy who participate.

"My hope would be to get the entire campus to make an impact," Miller-Lemon said.