Student vehicles damaged

A series of vehicle break-ins occurred Thursday in Notre Dame's D6, D2 and C1 campus parking lots.

"We are at the preliminary stage of investigation," Notre Dame Security/Police assistant director Phillip Johnson said.

Four student vehicles parked in the D2 lot were vandalized, NDSP assistant director Chuck Hurley said. All of these automobiles had a broken passenger or driver's side window and a missing stereo system. The interior of each car was dry, suggesting to the police that the break-ins occurred after Wednesday night's rain.

Similarly, NDSP found two break-ins in the D6 student lot and one in the C1 lot. A vehicle located in D6-South had a broken left rear passenger window. However, no items were reported missing. In D6-North, another automobile was noticed with a broken window. A construction employee found his car parked in C1 with a broken window. Tools were missing from the vehicle.

Johnson said he does not think the victimized students in Thursday's episodes were related to each other. He clarified that vehicles are typically targeted by degree of opportunity.

Upon discovering the vehicles, Johnson said NDSP attempted to inform affected students. The police department left a voicemail for each victimized student.

One of the reported victims holds a high editorial position at the Observer. In early February, another highly-ranked Observer editor's car was vandalized in a similar case.

At this time, NDSP does not have a lead on possible suspects. Hurley said NDSP is conversing with the county and city police departments to further investigate the matter.

Johnson said NDSP will remain especially watchful during their regular rounds.

"We will continue to be vigilant on our patrolling of campus and the parking lots," he said.