Fans Lack Class

I am a University of Michigan graduate ('97). I have been attending UM-ND games for 12 years. I have been to four games in Ann Arbor and two games in South Bend.

I enjoy these games because they are contests between two of the most respectable schools and the two winningest football programs in the nation. Both teams always play their best in these games, and it is always quality football.

The fans are usually polite to each other. Both sides always show their spirit, but there is not usually an anger at the other side, as happens with other schools. This has always been the case, until this year.

I was very disappointed at many of the ND students that were at the UM game on Saturday, who I sat next to. I would have expected them to cheer on their team, because the team looked superb. Instead, they focused their time chanting extremely vulgar things at the Michigan fans. We were relatively quiet and were not harassing them, and they were outrageous. Especially in front of children. Did they need to hear renditions of "The Victors" that were crass and vulgar? Notre Dame has a terrific fight song. Why not sing that instead? I won't say all ND fans were like this (in fact, one ND fan shouted down these students, saying that they had no class), but these students went too far.

I know Michigan fans then responded by throwing water bottles at the ND students, and this also was classless. I would hope both sides would respect the other, and look for a great ballgame. Why travel 300 miles to taunt, when you can watch a superb game?

Notre Dame is a terrific university, and the games between UM and ND are always great. But I am very disappointed at the lack of class shown by these ND fans. I would hope they would celebrate the victory with some class. That is what the UM fans that I know strive to do when Michigan competes in South Bend.

Andy Schor alumnusUniversity of MichiganSept. 12