Tickets draw fans to JACC

By 9:45 p.m. Wednesday night, an already thick line of student basketball fans was still growing as it stretched from Gate 11 of the Joyce Center along Juniper Road.

Some fans arrived as early as 11 a.m. Wednesday to ensure they received ticket vouchers at the first ever "Late Night with the Legion," a free event meant to promote the men's basketball team while ensuring a more equitable ticket distribution process.

Students were given bracelets upon entering the JACC and had to stay for the duration of the event. Everyone who received a bracelet was given a ticket voucher at the end of the evening.

A total of 2,700 bracelets were on hand to be given on a first-come, first-serve basis. Despite the long line of students along Juniper road, every student in line received a bracelet. At 10:45 p.m. there were still 200 bracelets left.

Monica Cundiff, director of events and sports marketing in the athletic department, was pleased with the event, despite a flood of complaints from students in the days leading up to it.

"Students were confused at first," Cundiff said. "I had parents calling worrying that their child wasn't going to get tickets since he goes to bed at 10 every night. But students seem to be excited for the basketball season. They seem to have positive spirits now."

Students watched head coach Mike Brey play Around the World with a student from Dillon Hall. There were free throw contests and 'hamster races.' The night also featured food from Chick-Fil-A, a chance to view walk-on tryouts and a speech from Brey.

But despite the entertainment, some students seemed only mildly entertained.

Junior Chris Kolaczkowski sat far away from the action of the basketball court as he waited out the evening.

"This is stupid," Kolaczkowski said. "They are forcing people to come to a two-hour event when everyone has projects and exams. I have other work to be doing."

But for senior Ashley Sinnott, who waited in line for three hours, the event was worth it. Still, she said she had friends who lived off-campus who were not going to be able to get tickets due to conflicts with the two-hour long event.

"I think this is a good idea to generate excitement for the team," Sinnott said. "It's nice."

Brey, who helped create "Late Night with the Legion," was thrilled with how the evening turned out.

"We wanted to do something intimate with our best fans," Brey said. "I am thrilled that so many came to watch. I want to make this an annual event."