Are we ND?

I especially enjoy the football game cheer in which the cheerleaders direct the entire stadium to echo "We Are ND" around the bowl because it reminds me of the drive to my first home game. As we were driving down the interstate, I couldn't help but notice all the signs and flags hanging off of cars, vans and RVs, and written on many of them was that cheer. The cheer reflects the unity of this amazing institution, and over my past three years here, that unity has shown itself time and time again.

Since freshman year, I have been invited to New York City, the Jersey shore, Miami, San Diego, Philadelphia and Chicago, and each time I was able to stay in an ND alum or student's house, absolutely free of charge, without meeting the alum or parents of the student beforehand. I love how at home football games, there is always some tailgate of some friend to go to, and every ounce of food and drink is theirs to share. I love how when I graduate from this school, the simple fact that an ND class ring is on my finger could get me places others might better deserve. As students, we are privileged to attend Notre Dame, and it is our duty to continue that unity which has been built up over the past 100 years.

With that said, it sickens me that the unity this school thrives off of, the unity that makes Notre Dame separate from any other school, is being destroyed by the "they had it coming" and "it's not my problem" mentality found around campus after the eviction news. After reading my daily dose of Viewpoint, I became more angry by the desertion response than the simple fact that we are being targeted by the city. I agree with upholding the law, but this ordinance takes that role too far. There is no unity in telling fellow students they had it coming; there is no unity in forgetting this whole incident happened. Those six evicted students are more likely to feel a part of this school and more likely to contribute to its unity if we as a student body do not accept their over-punishment. Indifference toward and desertion of our fellow students is the best way to destroy the unity we have, so don't let it happen.

Steven MaherjuniorAlumni HallOct. 31