Jockular' is comedy

I am writing with a piece of advice for the authors of Friday's editorial ("Jockular misleading and offensive," April 7) and the authors of multiple other letters to the editor that have criticized "Jockular" for varying reasons over the course of this academic year. Take a chill pill, people. "Jockular" is a comic strip. It is a joke. Its sheer nature as a comic strip suggests that it is not meant to be taken seriously. In the past month, "Jockular" has mocked or addressed in some form the following topics: Touchdown Jesus, dining hall food and employees, the broken clock on the front of O'Shag, the nickname "Fighting Irish," the Viewpoint section itself, eating babies, professors and the Notre Dame men's basketball team.

The authors of "Jockular" are not trying to promote any anti-Saint Mary's sentiments, nor did they mean to insult the maintenance workers at O'Shag, or make fun of a timeless Notre Dame landmark. They are simply doing what good comedians do. They are taking pertinent issues and putting them in perspective. If they wanted to insult Saint Mary's students, they would do so somewhere else in the paper. Please note that this letter does not intend to take any stance on the Saint Mary's issue as presented in "Jockular." My only message is to relax, take a deep breath, and laugh every once in a while. Things aren't always as serious as they seem.

Patrick NeedhamfreshmanDillon HallApril 8