Caribbean festival to feature food, music

Students seeking a taste of the exotic should look no further than the Jordan Hall of Science Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to midnight, when the Caribbean Students Organization (CSOUND) hosts its Caribbean Festival.

The free event will showcase live entertainment as well as examples of Caribbean cuisine prepared by a local chef.

CSOUND began the festival last year in an effort to create a "place where students of Caribbean background feel comfortable and can teach others about what the Caribbean has to offer," CSOUND president Hava Bourne said.

Bourne said she sees the festival as a way to expand the knowledge of the Caribbean on campus.

"Most Americans tend to think Caribbean culture is just Jamaican culture," Bourne said. "And while it's great that Jamaica is well known, our goal is to teach people that the Caribbean has more to offer. It's a lifestyle and a heritage that goes unnoticed."

Students will also have an opportunity to sample cuisine that features "staples of the Caribbean" - like jerk chicken, beef patties and pies, sweet yams and plantains.

Music will be provided by a DJ and Roots Rock Society, a Chicago band that plays Caribbean and Soca-style music. Soca, or soul calypso, is dance music that originated in the island of Trinidad.

At Notre Dame, this event is "one of the few expressions of Caribbean culture on campus that you'll see at all," CSOUND vice president John Henry said.