Threats to 'Bun Run' logical, unnecessary

This past Sunday, the men of Zahm Hall were made privy to some rather disquieting news: Due to the disturbing and disorderly nature of the event commonly known as the "Bun Run," members of Notre Dame Security and Police (NDSP) are going to start apprehending individuals who are seen partaking in this biannual occurrence.

Now, certainly there is sound logic behind the University's decision to end this tradition, and prominent among the various reasons for the Bun Run's removal are two apparently inexorable facts. First, were such an activity to take place off campus in "the real world," police would be quick to make arrests for indecent exposure. Second, the event offends an otherwise well-mannered and civil student body. But, to be honest, most would probably agree that the Notre Dame bubble is a far cry from the real world, and to treat it strictly as such would be a mistake. As for the second concern, it's hard for me to believe that the throngs of women who line the pathways of LaFortune during the Bun Run are there to decry the odious image of the naked male.

That the Bun Run is childish is undeniable; that it is silly and risqué is certain. However there are times when donning these characteristics can be, at the very least, entertaining; and finals week is one in which momentary entertainment often comes as a welcome diversion. The Bun Run - in its own quirky, irreverent way - reminds us that despite being the best and brightest this country has to offer, we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. Sometimes it is good to be childish, and it's never better to be childish than in college.

I would be morally remiss to encourage participation in any such activity which might induce punitive retribution by The Office of Residence Life and Housing. However, to those brash, brave souls for whom willful words of warning go unheeded, I have this simple advice: run fast boys, run fast.

Conor McEvily

senior

Zahm House

May 1