College to hold career expo

Saint Mary's will hold a Career Insights Expo next week, alumnae commissioner Christine Darche said Monday at the Board of Governance meeting.

The fair, to be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Nov. 6, will feature 28 alumni representing 21 different majors, she said. The event will be an opportunity for juniors and seniors to meet people in the business world, she said.

"These are our own women doing really powerful things," student body president Kim Hodges said.

The alumni will hand out business cards and talking about the work they do.

BOG members also discussed co-sponsorship proposals. A representative of the Monthly Anime Dosage: SMC Style Club asked for support with their Halloween dance to be held Wednesday night in Haggar Parlor.

In other BOG news:

u "Recycled Percussion" will be playing Tuesday in O'Laughlin Auditorium, said Cassie Callon, president of the Student Activities Board. Admission is free to students.

u Abby Hinchy, Student Diversity Board president, announced the Hunger Banquet will be held on Nov. 14 at 6 p.m. in the West Wing of Saint Mary's Dining Hall. Students will give their ID numbers and donate a meal to the needy. The proceeds will benefit South Bend residents.

u Hinchy also announced that in honor of Disabilities Awareness Week, the Student Diversity Board will collect prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses for people who cannot afford them. The eyewear will be sent out and fixed before they are given away.

u Colleen Kielty, president of the Class of 2008, said a Saint Mary's cookbook is being put together. Saint Mary's students and faculty are asked to submit recipes by e-mail to Allison Greene. Proceeds from the cookbook sales will be given to charity.

u Hodges told Board members that Tuesday will be Soul Food day in the dining hall for dinner. Off-campus tickets will be sold at the front desk.

u This week is Love Your Body Week, said Renee Woodward, Women's Studies commissioner. A Body Forum Coffeehouse will be held in the Women's Resource Center tonight at 8 p.m. Thursday will be "Ditch Your Diet Day!" and there will be stickers and candy available outside the dining hall during lunch and dinner. The movie Real Women Have Curves will be shown Thursday night in Vander Vennet Theater in the basement of the student center at 6 p.m. There will be a belly dancing class Friday at 12 p.m. Space is limited. Interested students can e-mail Woodward at rwoodw01@saintmarys.edu