Two ND students die in unrelated cases

Two Notre Dame students died this weekend in separate and unrelated incidents, University officials said Sunday evening.

One of the students, Connor McGrath, was a sophomore who moved to Siegfried Hall in January. He died Sunday morning or early afternoon, Siegfried rector Father John Conley told students gathered at the dorm's Mass Sunday night.

McGrath's death did not take place in Siegfried, Conley said. His address was the first official notice to Siegfried residents of McGrath's death.

Local news outlets reported that a student died in Dillon Hall Sunday. This was unconfirmed Sunday night by University officials, who also had not released McGrath's name.

A call reporting an unresponsive male at Dillon was placed to the South Bend Fire Department at 1:39 p.m. Sunday, a fire department spokeswoman said. The ambulance arrived at Dillon at 1:53 p.m. and did not make a transport, she said.

No name has been released in the second death, but a number of dorm rectors said the student was not an undergraduate.

University President Father John Jenkins expressed condolences to the families of the two students through a statement Sunday night.

"On behalf of the entire University, my deepest condolences go out to the families and friends of these two members of the Notre Dame family," Jenkins said. "Our prayers are with them during this difficult time."

The University will release further information once the immediate families of the two students have contacted other family members, University spokesman Dennis Brown said.

Local news outlets reported that Notre Dame Security/Police responded to the scene Sunday, but The Observer was unable to reach the NDSP spokesman Sunday night.