Majors seek funds for trip

Senior communications studies major Sam Peterson visited Tuesday evening's Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) meeting, seeking funds for a trip to the Undergraduate Honors Conference of the Southern States Communications Association in Savannah, Ga.

Peterson and three other communications majors submitted their senior compositions to the conference to be judged and have won national recognition. They will travel to Georgia to present their compositions and attend other presentations from seniors across the country.

Awards will also be handed out to exceptional projects, including one major award for the best project.

"You can be recognized in the entire field, which is huge because it is such a broad field," Peterson said.

The group approached BOG to get funds for transportation, food, and room and board to represent Saint Mary's at the conference.

"This is a great opportunity for Saint Mary's to get recognized," Peterson said.

The group will make presentations after returning for the junior communications studies majors, the Communications Studies Honor Club, and women's studies classes. They are also each writing articles about their projects for the Saint Mary's Alumni Newsletter.

The conference will be held from April 2-4. Brittany Taylor, Victoria Frank and Sierra Campoli are the others accepted into the conference, however they were not in attendance at the BOG meeting.

In other BOG news:

u The Maria Pieta Award for Outstanding Teaching is looking for nominees, student body vice president Kelly Payne said. Students are encouraged to email their pick for the best lower division course professor to mariapietaaward@saintmarys.edu.

"This is one of the biggest awards we give to our teachers here," Payne said.

u Board of Governance will be holding this year's service project on April 4-5, student body president Kim Hodges said. The program is called Rebuilding Together, and the group will gather and then helping to make repairs on a house for two elderly women in the community.

u Women Honoring Women, a dinner celebrating outstanding female administrators and professors in the Saint Mary's community, will be held April 2, Payne said.

u BOG is preparing for its yearly turnover on April 1, announced Chief of Staff Sarita Fritzler.

u Communications Prof. Teri Russ's female beauty class will be holding a mini-conference called "Busting the Barbie Standard" on April 20, women's issues commissioner Renee Woodward said. Each member of the class was assigned a Barbie to make over for the presentation, and these modified Barbies will be on display at the conference.