Board of Governance: Multiethnic celebration approved

The Saint Mary's Board of Governance (BOG) approved two co-sponsorships at their meeting Tuesday.

The first proposal came from former student body president Kim Hodges. She was seeking funding for a Multiethnic Senior Celebration event on May 3 at 7 p.m. in Dalloway's.

After attending the Latino and Black graduation events held at Notre Dame, Hodges said she wanted to do something like that at Saint Mary's, she said.

"We don't have the numbers to do specific graduations like [at Notre Dame] so I thought of a multiethnic graduation," she said.

Her reasons for wanting to hold this event were not just because of Notre Dame's ceremonies; she said she is also concerned with the lack of legacies at Saint Mary's from "alumni of color," she said.

"I'm sure all of you can name one person on your hand... somebody that came to Saint Mary's," she said. "That's not the case for alumni of color, students of color at this college. It's just not happening."

The plans for the event include a keynote address from 1999 black alumna, Tysus Jackson, Hodges said.

The event will be honoring and recognizing 12 multiethnic seniors for their support and hard work over the past four years, she said.

"I think that it's important that we celebrate all the endeavors that our girls have had since they've been here," she said.

Senior biology major Olyenka Bilyk also requested a co-sponsorship for partial reimbursement for her participation in the Experimental Biology Conference in San Diego.

At the conference, Bilyk presented her senior comprehensive project to scientists from across the nation, she said.

She also was able to attend lectures and meet other scientists, which she said gave her crucial knowledge for the Saint Mary's biology department, she said.

"I can impart this knowledge to fellow Saint Mary's biology majors and students," she said. "I can also help bring this knowledge to the Saint Mary's biology department and help them become more competitive in their research."

Both co-sponsorships were approved by the board.

In other BOG news:

uStudent body president and vice president Mickey Grusinski and Sarah Falvey began working to extend the Student Center hours for finals week, Grusinksi said.

They have also tried to create a stress free atmosphere in the Student Government Office during that week. There will be coloring books and games available to students, Falvey said.

"We're also going to try and have snacks up there," she said.

They are also hoping to have a masseuse for a few hours for "stress release," Falvey said.

uAdmissions commissioner Kristle Hodges asked BOG members to help her look for student ambassadors for next year.

"We love to take first-year students and sophomores," she said.

Ambassadors are required to give one to two tours a week, participate in official visit days on campus, and are sometimes asked to host prospective students overnight, meet with prospective students for lunch, Hodges said.

uWomen's issues commissioner Becki Faunce announced that there are events for the National Week of Silence taking place this week.

There will be a National Day of Silence Panel on Thursday at 6 p.m. in Dalloway's, she said. The panel will include students and professors who will be talking about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) issues.