ND Women's Golf: Notre Dame claims top slot in Boulder

Monday's record-setting second round gave the Irish a healthy lead heading into Tuesday's final 18 holes, and Notre Dame took care of business to take top team honors at the Heather Farr Memorial in Boulder, Colo.

The Irish held off second-place finisher Texas Tech to win by five strokes.

Senior captain Lisa Maunu and sophomore So-Hyun Park led the Irish by finishing tied for fourth overall with a 5-under par 211.

Maunu finished all three rounds under par. Park shined on the 36-hole Day One, starting with a 2-under 70 in round one, followed by a school record six-under 66.

"I was happy that [Park] could get off to a good start," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "She just played really solid."

Two other Irish golfers, junior Annie Brophy and sophomore Katie Conway, scored under par in a round to earn Holt's praise.

"That's a good situation to have," Holt said. "We have a lot of depth and we aren't relying on the same people every day to shoot low scores and carry the load. All five of our players are capable of stepping up and coming through when we need them."

Brophy's second-round 71 helped Notre Dame to a school-record 7-under and Conway, after neither of her first two rounds were counted, finished strong by tying for the team lead in round three with a two-under 70.

"She played as an individual last week at Michigan State and from the way she played there was able to work her way into the top five," Holt said. "It paid off. Katie's a good player. She's certainly capable of putting up those type of numbers."

Freshman Becca Huffer scored in all three rounds for the Irish, opening with a 75 and finishing with back-to-back 74s.

Holt looks to last week's tournament as the learning experience that helped her team perform at a high level in Heather Farr.

"They realized that they need to be prepared and ready to play every day," Holt said. "I told them that they needed to stay focused. I think that they carried it through this whole tournament, and they saw the results of doing it."

The Irish will take a two-week break before heading to West Lafayette, Ind. to compete in the Lady Northern Tournament hosted by Purdue University.