Maxwell's records headline at OSU

Sophomore Samantha Maxwell's two school records highlighted Notre Dame's third-place finish at the Ohio State Invitational this weekend.

Maxwell, Notre Dame's top breaststroker, broke her own school record Sunday in the 200-yard breaststroke record with a time of 2:12.46 at Ohio State's McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion. Maxwell's record-setting swim in the 200 came less than 24 hours after she broke another of her own school records Saturday in the 100-breaststroke with a time of 1:01.57. Maxwell had previously set both records during the 2008 Big East conference championships.

As a team, the No. 24 Irish finished with a total of 458 points, finishing in third place behind Minnesota and Penn State in the 11-team field. Notre Dame's 458 points was just enough to edge out the host Buckeyes, who came in fourth with a total of 434 points.

Sophomore Lauren Sylvester finished ninth in the 1650-freestyle with a time of 16:57.46. Junior Maggie Behrens finished 10th in the 200-backstroke with a team-best time of 2:01.66. Sophomore Amywren Miller set a team-best mark with her 10th place finish in the 100-freestyle after clocking in at 50.92. Fellow sophomore Katie Casey also recorded a season-best time with a time of 2:02.36 in the 200-fly.

The Notre Dame men's team wrapped up its performance with six season-best times in each of Sunday's six events. The Irish placed fourth overall out of 12 teams with 398 points, finishing behind Ohio State, Minnesota and Penn State. However, the Irish finished two spots ahead of sixth-place Purdue, who had previously defeated Notre Dame on Nov. 8.

Notre Dame's season-best performances began with junior Andrew Deters' 11th place finish in the 1650-freestyle. His time of 15:35.4 was the fastest time of any Irish swimmer this season. Sophomore Michael Sullivan set a season-best time in the 200-backstroke with a time of 1:49.98, which was also good for 11th overall.

In the 100 free, junior John Lyttle finished sixth overall with a time of 44.78. Senior Daniel Rave finished seventh in the 200-breaststroke with a time of 2:03.09 and sophomore MacKenzie LeBlanc's sixth place finish in the 200-fly with a time of 1:49.07.