Charity event raises funds for Riley's

Saint Mary's Dance Marathon committee held its third Charity Denim event in the lower level of the Student Center, giving students the opportunity to shop and donate to Riley's Children's Hospital at the same time.

Event Fundraising Co-Chair and sophomore Kelli Minor, was in charge of planning the event.

"Every time we have it, we raise more money," Minor said. "It's always been successful and really easy to organize."

For a $1 donation at the door, close to 100 students were able to sift through shirts and the over 500 pairs of designer jeans. Ten percent of each sale is donated to Riley Children's Hospital.

Since the designs are from last season, jeans that are normally sold starting at $200 and up can be purchased at much lower prices. The prices range from $65 - $100 depending on the brand.

Brands included William Rast, - Justin Timberlake's new line - as well as Seven For All Mankind, Red Engine, J Brand and many others, Minor said.

The idea for Charity Denim came when Maura Clougherty, senior and organizer of the event, found a version of it online last year.

Charity Denim events are organized all over the country, Minor said. The committee contacted Steve Price, founder of Charity Denim, who brought the jeans and other clothes to campus.

Applications for Dance Marathon were also available at the event. So far, the group has collected over 50 names for dance, which will be April 3-4.

If applicants are able to provide 15 addresses, they will then be given a T-shirt with the Riley Children's Hospital emblem on it. The addresses will be used to send letters asking for donations to the Hospital, senior and Campus Marketing Chair Meg Varty said.

Varty got involved in the group last year after participating in the event both her freshman and sophomore years.

"I wanted to get involved because it was for a good cause, it was year long, and it is fun," she said.

Dance Marathon also has activities planned throughout March to help raise money for the event. Organizers will be holding Salon Night in the basement of the Student Center March 3, senior Sarah Voss said. Also, they will be holding events at Steak '.n Shake and Max and Erma's. Portions of the sales will be donated to Riley's, Minor said.

This year, the committee is continuing to raise the bar. "Our goal is to stay above Purdue and raise over $100,000," Minor said.

The committee also launched a new Web site, www.smcdm.org, where anyone interested in donating will soon be given the opportunity, Minor said.