SMC Tennis: Belles hope to add to MIAA resume

As the season comes to a close, Saint Mary's is searching for a win against Adrian College on Saturday to keep its hopes high before the quickly approaching MIAA Conference tournament.

"We never overlook an opponent, but [Adrian College] has had a tough season in the conference," Belles coach Dale Campbell said.

In terms of competition, the Bulldogs (2-11, 0-4 MIAA) are not one of the strongest teams on the Belles' schedule. They have been shut out by three of the four MIAA Conference teams they have faced so far this season.

The Belles (7-9, 2-4) hope to improve their record with one more win after this match.

"I expect all of them to do well," Campbell said. "Now is a time to get prepared for the conference tournament."

The Belles are coming off of a harsh loss from Hope College, where junior team captain Camille Gebert was the only member of the team able to pull out a win, but sophomores Jessica Kosinski and Franca Peluso came close.

"We had a tough match against Hope," Campbell said. "The biggest challenge is to not let down after a tough loss."

The Belles' schedule has been intensely packed with matches in the past few weeks, so relying on practices to make the differences they need is not effective enough to make the crucial changes.

"We have had very little practice time as of late between our matches," Campbell said. "We have to learn from our last match and make the adjustments immediately on the court."

Though there is little time for running team practices Coach Campbell knows what the team needs to change for the best chances for winning this Saturday.

"We have to see where we can improve our play and play with confidence," Campbell said. "We simply have to focus on one point at a time."