Arrogance the answer

Now that I have my laughter in control, I'd like to respond to (and commend) the Schad & Freude comic in the Sept. 28 issue of The Observer. There could be no better comic to describe so many students here, besides maybe the other brilliant Tool Meter comic published earlier in the year.

Since when did it become such a big deal to just go out with someone? Is it really that huge of an issue to give someone a casual, nothing-to-it invite to something?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but usually, rings aren't used in the process. Are we stuck in second grade where if anyone of the opposite sex talked to you, y'all were the new "couple" on campus and the breaking news at school? Let me be the first to propose an explanation for why this comic is so true here at Notre Dame: arrogance.

It looks like the arrogance present in other facets of Notre Dame life, such as the idea that it's cool to talk about ACT/SAT scores and GPAs during Frosh-O week, has extended to gender relations here.

That's right, we're all too arrogant to realize there's nothing to a "Wanna get coffee sometime?" or "Let's have dinner soon" statement. The asker isn't in love with you, the asker doesn't want to date you immediately, nor is the asker that physically attracted to you that s/he wants to watch you eat and drink, complete with likely awkward conversation.

Ladies, trust me, just because a guy asks you to dinner doesn't mean you're his next big thing. And fellows, the girl doesn't "want you" because she asked if you wanted to get coffee. But of course, the conventional wisdom here is that if any of the above happens to me, it obviously is because I am just that darn good, attractive, and irresistible (insert three similar words of choice here). Three words: 'get over yourself.' I guess 'please grow up' could work too.

Kudos to The Observer on finally having a comic strip that is hilarious while telling it like it really is.

Kevin Kimberly

junior

O'Neill Hall

Sept. 28