ND Women's Tennis: Frilling hopes to lead Irish to championships

Only a few days away from the beginning of the spring season, sophomore standout Kristy Frilling is hoping to lead the Irish to the NCAA Championships in May.

"Kristy is one of the top doubles players in the country and has a chance to do really well this year in singles and doubles," Irish coach Jay Louderback said. "She is left handed and has a very good serve."

Last year during her freshman season, Frilling made an appearance in both the NCAA singles and doubles Championships, earned NCAA All-American status and was named the Big East Freshman of the year, all which contributed to one of the best seasons in Irish women's tennis history.

Frilling, a psychology and sociology major, began playing at the age of 5 with the prompting of lessons from her mother. Though she did not play for her high school, Frilling made appearances at the Junior U.S. Open, Junior Australian Open and Junior Wimbledon tournaments. She was lured to pursue playing for the Irish after visiting many times during her brother's years as a student at Notre Dame.

Despite her personal success, Frilling boasts a specific quality about the team that she feels will help them compete well in the ensuing season.

"I think our team has a lot of variety compared to other schools," Frilling said. "We also have a strong doubles lineup and really focus on that a lot. Also, we all get along really well and our team dynamic is great."

Frilling and the members of the Irish women's tennis team made it to the semifinals of the NCAA Championship last season.

"Last year we had the best season [Notre Dame] has ever had, and I hope to do the same or better this year," Frilling said.

Currently in the middle of the season, the coming semester of play will determine if the Irish have what it takes to do better than 2009.

"The middle of season is a grind, but it helps to look forward and motivate ourselves for the ultimate goal, the Big East Championship and NCAAs," Frilling said. "Our spring season will be busy. We have a tough schedule and a good amount of traveling, but everyone is really excited for the upcoming season."

Frilling and the Irish will kick off the spring season Saturday on the road against Iowa.