SMC Cross Country: Belles take on field at Wabash

The Belles got their first home meet out of the way with great success, taking the top eight places against Goshen Wednesday evening. This weekend, they approach the next step — their first away match and open meet of the season.

The biggest goal this weekend at the Hokum Karem meet is to tighten up the pack, especially among the top eight runners, as consistency was lacking in the last meet.

"I think it was a great first showing for the team, even if the times aren't exactly where they want them quite yet," Belles coach Jackie Bauters said.

As will likely become custom this year, the Belles look to sophomore Julia Kenney, junior Joanne Almond and seniors Catie Salyer and Clare McVey, who took the top four spots in Wednesday's meet.

The nature of this weekend's meet allows for a more relaxed atmosphere with multiple teams present, taking off some of the pressure that comes with dual-team races. It also gives the Belles an opportunity to get in a strong practice run with fewer nerves than a standard meet.

"The girls love going down to Wabash for the Hokem Karem because it's fun, and while it's competitive, it's so different from a regular race that they are able to be a little less anxious about it," Bauters said.

The Belles travel to Wabash for the Hokum Karem meet Saturday at 11:15 a.m.