Laptop theft increases, NDSP alerts rectors

Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) received reports of seven laptop thefts from residence halls — mostly girls' dorms — on campus since the end of January, according to an e-mail sent to rectors Wednesday.

NDSP Crime Prevention Officer Keri Kei Shibata sent the e-mail asking rectors to remind students to lock doors and be aware of suspicious activity.

"In six of these cases the thefts occurred in female residence halls," the e-mail stated. "These thefts have primarily occurred in the afternoon hours. Some of the thefts have occurred when a resident was in the room sleeping."

In the most recent case, NDSP reported a college-aged female was going door-to-door in the residence hall asking about lost headphones around the time of the theft. The incident may or may not be related to the theft, the e-mail stated.

According to NDSP, the female was described between 20 and 22 years of age. She was black with black, shoulder-length hair and bangs. She is between 5-foot-4 and 5-foot-7 tall and between 140 and 160 pounds. She may also have a beauty mark on her right cheek.

NDSP asked rectors to remind residents to keep room doors locked and properly secure, especially if the residents have left the room, are asleep or are otherwise occupied so as not to notice someone enter the room.

Students were advised not to let other people enter a residence hall or follow them through the door to a residence hall unless they are certain the person lives in the dorm.

"Ask them to wait and contact the person they are visiting to let them in," the e-mail said.

The e-mail also asked students and rectors to report suspicious activity to NDSP immediately.