SMC Softball: Belles to play Bethel after pair of rainouts

The Belles return to action against No. 23 Bethel College today following two rainouts last week. The match will be their first conference game, and a win would bring their season record to 9-2.

"We've been working almost everyday since we've been back, and even though the conditions aren't always ideal, now is the time of the season to fine-tune everything," junior infielder Kate Mitchell said.

The Belles, who have not played since March 17, are ready to see how their practices have improved their level of play. Senior outfielder Hayley Bojorquez said she is eager to see how her team performs after the extra time to practice.

"A win against Bethel would reassure the confidence we have in this team and be a great start to our season at home," Bojorquez said. "We want to have a solid game regardless of the outcome, where we immediately fix our mistakes and capitalize on theirs."

Mitchell is eager to see the team's leadership shine through in conference play.

"Hayley is our lone senior this year and she's really been taking on the leadership role very well," Mitchell said. "Building off of that, we aren't just a one-woman team. Every player on our team has a role."

Bojorquez and Mitchell are both aiming to secure a conference championship for their team. A win against Bethel would be a solid start toward that goal.

"We're a good hitting team, we have the pitching and we have good defense," Mitchell said. "I think if we focus on our jobs individually and we stay pumped and energized as a team throughout the whole game, we'll do some big things."

Bojorquez said the team must remain focused throughout conference play, particularly against a tough opponent like Bethel.

"The key to winning this game is to stay focused mentally and not let Bethel's strengths consume us," Bojorquez said. "We're a strong team when we play our game and don't let outside forces affect us mentally."

The Belles take the field today at 5 p.m. against the Pilots.