Mendoza communications director dies suddenly

The director of communications for the Mendoza College of Business, Mary Hamann, died of a sudden illness Friday while in Paraguay, according to a report from The South Bend Tribune.

Dean Carolyn Woo said Hamann will be missed after her 10 years in the Mendoza College.

"The death of Mary Hamann is a tremendously sad event for Notre Dame, the entire Mendoza College and for myself personally," Woo said. "She was a very good friend whose judgment was always balanced and considerate of all parties involved. Her love for her family and Notre Dame, her strong faith and her kind-hearted generosity were evident in all that she did. She was the calm shelter in every storm."

Hamann, 50, was one of the founders of the Women's Care Center in South Bend, according to the Tribune report. 

Hamann served as the editor for Notre Dame Business, the Mendoza College alumni magazine. The magazine was recognized for excellence by the League of American Communications Professionals, Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals and the Council for Support and Advancement of Education.

Hamann traveled to Paraguay for her daughter's wedding, according to the Tribune report.

"We grieve her as a friend," Woo said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with her husband, Mike, her children and her extended family."

Hamann is survived by her husband and their four children.