Saint Mary's celebrates volunteers

Six Saint Mary's students were honored for their service to the local community Tuesday in the Stapleton Lounge of Le Mans Hall in lieu of last week's National Volunteer Week.

The Office for Civic and Social Engagement sponsored an award ceremony for the women to receive the six different service awards.

"They inspire me," said Carrie Call, director of the Office for Civic and Social Engagement. "They're an incredibly inspiring group of women."

Five of the women were presented with Sisters of the Holy Cross awards for women who embody the order's mission statement to help where help is needed.

The five recipients were seniors Anne Maguire, Christina Losasso, Claire Yancy, Karen Borja and junior Aileen Hurd.

The sixth award, named after alumna Patricia Arch Green, honored sophomore Carla Lead as an active member of the College Academy of Tutoring Program.

"We don't go into volunteering hoping to get an award," Lead said. "I'm extremely honored."

The winners of the six awards served the community by volunteering at homeless shelters, local schools, devoting time to Campus Ministry, participating on service trips and taking active leadership roles within various clubs and organizations on campus.

"The amount of service each of these ladies has done at Saint Mary's is amazing," Olivia Critchlow, assistant director for the Office of Civic and Social Engagement, said. "Each one of them is an inspiration for other students."

Faculty and staff, some of whom nominated the winners for their awards, attended the banquet to recognize the women.

"They are an incredible inspiration," said Call.